Broadly, AmeriCorps (pronounced “Ameri-Core” like in “Peace Corps”) is a network of programs that range from local to state up to the national level. Over 75,000 people engage with AmeriCorps each year to provide intensive service and address specific community needs.
At the Bennion Center, AmeriCorps is an opportunity for students or community members interested in dedicating 300 hours or more to a single community partner. It’s a perfect complement to those that are already engaged in the community and an easy stepping stone for those looking to be more involved.
Why join the AmeriCorps program? What are the benefits?
AmeriCorps members are linked by their drive to make America stronger, healthier, and safer. Members gain real job skills, leadership experience, and build their resumes. Those who complete their terms also receive a certificate of national service and an education award to assist you in pursuing professional development or postsecondary education opportunities.
Who is eligible to enroll in the AmeriCorps program at the Bennion Center?
The Bennion Center’s AmeriCorps program is open on a first-come, first-served basis to all U students and community members that meet the state-wide requirements:
- Members must commit to an intensive term of service (300 – 450 hours in 12 months).
- Members must be at least 17 years of age to serve (no upper age limit).
- Members must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Members must have a high school diploma, GED, or complete one before using the Education Award.
- Members must complete the Prospective AmeriCorps Orientation and verify they have done so by taking the quiz at the end.
- Members must complete all enrollment paperwork.
- Members cannot have been convicted of an offense that lists them on the National Sex Offender Registry or have been convicted of murder.
- Members must pass a background check (paid for by Utah Campus Compact).
How do I get started?
Contact the Bennion Center’s AmeriCorps coordinator (Asma Hassan) to ensure there is a slot available for you and identify your focus area, service site, and start date.
After approval, follow the enrollment process below:
- Attend online orientation
- Complete enrollment info doc (sent in an email after orientation)
- Obtain a copy of your fingerprints from an approved location (or at minimum, schedule a time when you will do this)
- Log into IPT and complete the Enrollment Eligibility Form
- Meet with Bennion Center’s AmeriCorps coordinator (Asma Hassan) to complete paperwork and finish your enrollment.